Snow on Monday, 75 degree temps on Thursday… that means its time to golf, right? Oh, yeah, it sounded good in theory and it ended up fine, but we forgot to factor in one thing… a mucky course! But, who cares, a golf day is a golf day, especially if the sun is shining. That’s how we kicked off the 2012 season yesterday. As you can see from my photo, I was ready – breakfast sandwich, check, Dr. Pepper, check, pink golf balls, check. Yep, I was ready.
It was cart path only golfing which meant lots of walking for both of us. I really don’t mind normally, but they had fertilized the course with what I was convinced were rabbit pellets – aka bunny poop – and I was wishing I had packed had wipes in my golf bag. Once I got over the mud and bunny poop dodging, I was fine.
For the first outing of the year, I did fine. My putting was actually better than usual and I had a few good chip shots, but I really need to get to the driving range about once a week for a while. I think that is going to be a big part of me getting more consistent this year. I need to figure out how far I usually hit any given club and feel more comfortable with every club in my bag.
I got a golf trainer gadget for Christmas, too. I need to set that up in the back yard and make myself a target to practice my chipping, too.
Mud or no mud, I was still so happy to get out on the course and play. Here’s hoping there is a another golf day in my near future!
- My putting game was actually pretty decent today. I had 2 or 3 really good long putts that ended up right where I wanted them – in the hole.
- Hole #4 was just horrible. I had a weak drive so I ended up with a long, long way to the green with just my irons. For some reason I just kept topping the ball and doing a lot of walking.
- Hole #7 was my best hole of the day. It only took me 4 shots (it was a par 3) but I was on the green in 2 so I was happy.
- The grass was super dry and it was easy to see the pink golf balls, but for some reason, we lost more golf balls that should have been findable than I would have expected.
- I seemed to be most accurate with my 9 today – not sure why, but my 7 was horrible.
- Something like a 117. It was the first game of my season – let’s just say it can only improve from here.